The Health Navigator works across the acute and community sectors to support clients identified as having a chronic condition and motivated to make changes in their lives.
This service aims to prevent people with chronic conditions from representing to emergency departments or admitting into hospital as an inpatient as a result of complications related to their chronic health condition. Clients already attending Boab Allied Health services have the option to be linked in with the Health Navigator if they are motivated to work toward changes to improve their health outcomes.
Linking in the Acute and Community Sectors
The Health Navigator plays a key role in supporting clients to access chronic disease management services, including coordinating clients’ access to services through General Practice and providing proactive chronic disease education in a way that meets clients’ individual needs.
This will include:
- Working with the acute and community sectors to develop clear and effective referral pathways
- Supporting referred clients that have had a preventable hospital admission/presentation who are linked into appropriate primary health care services in the community
- Fostering client engagement with a GP as the primary carer.
The Health Navigator will work with the client to increase motivation, knowledge and skills to self-manage their condition. This will include goal-setting towards healthy behaviour changes with the client to improve health outcomes, and ensuring the client is supported by services within their community keeping them well and out of hospital.
Services We Provide for the Client
Our health navigator coordinator works closely with the client, local hospital or GP, family and other health care services. We provide a range of support including:
- Meeting with clients face-to-face, via telephone or as an inpatient
- Liaising with hospital staff during discharge planning meetings
- Liaising closely with GP‘s and other health care providers
- Supporting and motivating clients to self-manage their chronic health condition
- Working with clients to set goals to improve health outcomes
- Supporting clients to attend health appointments, including Telehealth
- Liaising with clients’ family or carer if required
Our Health Navigator is based in Broome office but may offer telephone support throughout the Kimberley.
How to Access the Health Navigator Services
If the person is an existing Boab Health Service client, contact one of our Allied Health team members on (08) 9192 7888 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If this person is new to Boab Health Services, an Allied Health referral form must be completed.
Cost of Services
Our government-funded health navigator service is currently free-of-charge for eligible clients.